Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Turning Baking Soda Into Washing Soda

So I wanted to begin making my own cleaning products and I was excited because most of the ingredients I already had - baking soda, vinegar, water, spray bottles. But there was one ingredient I'd never heard of. Washing soda?? Also known as "Soda Ash" or sodium carbonate. You can purchase it at the grocery store made by Arm & Hammer. Several people have never heard of it. And then I saw this blog talking about how to transform baking soda into washing soda. It is a very helpful resource and where I got the "recipe" below:

-Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.

-Put baking soda in a large baking dish (I would advise you using a long pan. I used a bread pan because it was already out and I think the top part turned into washing soda much faster. The greater area you have to spread it out, the less time you will need to cook it in the oven.)

-"Bake" about 30 minutes to an hour stirring occasionally.
*And if it helps, try to keep out some baking soda so you can tell the difference.

QUIZ: Which one is baking soda and which one is washing soda?


Okay, I'm sorry that is HUMONGOUS. But it's to help you out.

To make sure you don't see the answer, I'll post pictures of my cute dog Sunday:






~*~

The one on the left is baking soda and the one on the right is washing soda. The washing soda definitely has a more granular look to it and is more dull than baking soda. And it tastes WAY WORSE than baking soda. I don't advise it. But I heard it tastes different so I wanted to try it. Yuck.

Here are more photos of washing soda:




YAY!

*Washing soda may be slightly irritating as it is a strong base. Sometimes the high alkalinity can give people skin problems. I did not notice any irritations, but something to be aware of.

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment