Monday, February 25, 2013

Make Your Own Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Making chocolate covered strawberries is so easy. I love to make them. Here's how I do it:


*Make sure that you are going to eat or gift the chocolate covered strawberries soon ater making them. If left too long, they begin to "sweat," where water droplets form on the outside of the chocolate and the strawberries can get soggy on the inside.
Gather your strawberries, chocolate, wax paper, and a spoon (to stir the chocolate). I use the Dolci Fruitta chocolate that is found around the produce in the grocery store. I'm not sure that it has the best ingredients but it tastes great.

1) Wash your strawberries but leave the green tops on them. These will help you dip the strawberries in the chocolate. Let your strawberries air dry (my preference) or pat dry if you are short on time. You want them as dry as possible so that the chocolate sticks. Also, the chocolate adheres better if the strawberries are room temperature -another good reason to let air dry.

 2) Next, heat up your chocolate. A double boiler is recommended if you are melting chocolate chips, unless you are extra careful. If you are not using a double boiler to melt chips, keep the heat fairly low and stir often. The worst feeling is burning a bunch of chocolate and having to throw it out. Trust me. :(


*With the Dolci Fruitta, microwave it in 30 second intervals (at half of your microwave's power) and stir in between.  Mine melted within about a minute and a half (remember stir in between). If you don't know how to adjust the power on your microwave, I would melt the chocolate in ~15 second intervals with stirring in between just in case.


3) Prepare the wax paper. I laid it out on a cookie sheet on the counter. The pick up each dry strawberry by it's green top and dip it in the chocolate. Place dipped strawberries on the wax paper.
 4) The chocolate on the strawberries dries fairly quickly. By the time I was done dipping the last one, the first chocolate dipped strawberries were hard enough to eat. I threw the rest in the fridge!


And I hate to waste, so I put some fruit in the mixing cup to eat up the rest of the chocolate. Mmm!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment